Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It’s A Business. Treat It Like One

Well it’s been a while since I last posted. I’ve been quite a busy man.
Yesterday for example I pulled a 12.5 working day. But the truth is I really love my job. I love programming, I love finding “bugs” (I’m a QC engineer, remember?).

The reason I feel like I need to start my own business, at least on the side, is for two reasons:
A) Anyone who read “Rich dad, Poor dad” knows that it is very recommended to have something to support you in case there are “cut downs” in your work place. So even though I love my job, who knows what will be tomorrow.
B) I’ve been working in my work place for a little over a year now. Some of the people that have been there for a while leave, or are simply not happy. I want to start now building something that I can fallback on if that ever happened to me. After all, maybe with more free time I can really get to do the programming I love

But this is not what this post is about. I want to stress something that the “experts” say all the time:
This online business is a business. And the ramifications of such a realization are many.
We expect to throw up some campaigns, build some sites and magically I will become a wealthy man. This is not true. One should really learn how to run a business, develop the skills his business needs in order to succeed, learn about finances, learn to generate and read reports and, have a solid plan of how the money is going to be made and on and on. I’m not even talking about self control and mental strength needed (which I promised a separate post about).
I know! suddenly it sounds like real work. Well do not fool yourself. If you want to succeed you must work. So why do it you ask? What is the difference between that and my 9-6 job?
Well, several things. The two main ones being:
I am my own boss (for some people this might be worse)
The return on investment is 100 times – if not more – greater than a 9-5 job.


So, the point I want to get through to you is that this is a business. Treat it like a business. And if you do you will succeed. And when you succeed…well I don’t know how it feel. But g-d willing I will.

Good luck to you all,
Amishosh

No comments: