Saturday, April 5, 2008

Keyword Organizing

After detecting a potential niche, the next step is keyword research.

Currently I use some free tools. I purchased a couple of tools several years ago. Being that they mainly relied on Overture's Keyword Tool which stopped it's free services, they aren't very useful to me these days. Once I become a professional Affiliate Marketer and make decent money I will probably purchase a Keyword Discovery or Wordracker subscription, and the I can use these tools again (they rely on KW Discovery and Wordracker APIs).

Anyway this is how I currently perform my Keyword research:
1 . I enter the most general term for my niche into any of the free keyword tools I use.
2. I identify the "sub-keywords" of the niche. For example: If I am searching on "diet". I would identify sub-keywords such as:
Easy, pills, method, free, cheep, etc.
3. I use these words as sub-groups for my master keywords list (I call then "father groups").
4. I head back to the free tools and enter each "father keyword" phrase to get an even more comprehensive list for each sub-group. (I am aware that there are paid tools that do this for me. When I get them, I can skip this particular stage).
5. I create a spreadsheet containing ALL my keywords with filters with the "father groups". This logically organizes my keywords according to groups.

This sets the blue-print for the PPC campaigns I am going to create. In essence these "father groups" will be my ad group division. Since relevance is a big factor for AdWords or any PPC campaign this is very useful way to get that going.

In some niches I would probably have to create "child groups" to each "father group" due to the size of the specific niche.

Good luck

No comments: