The title might sound contradicting. So let me explain.
I recently purchased a supposedly great tool called "Xconversions". Super affiliates are really recommending this tool, so I decided to get it.
After the installation, which went pretty smoothly, the tool was not working. It simply was not doing what it was supposed to do. The tool creator has a forum and a support system for this tool. So I spent FOUR hours (!!!) on trying to figure out the problem. And guess what, I still did not resolve it. So I opened a ticket, and now waiting for a response.
Let's analyze what happened here:
I was eager to get this tool working already. I saw that others on the forum had the same problem so I figured I can get it working. Aside from that I have a very strong "pull" to figure out technical stuff and why they are not working (like most computer people). This was clearly a mistake. I did not learn much from the whole experience, and worse I wasted valuable time. I could’ve probably had another whole campaign ready to launch when I stabilize all these issues.
So, I have opened a ticket at 9:15 PM (15 min after the problem occurred) and just PATIANTLY waited for a response and in the meantime, did REAL marketing work I think I would have been better off.
There's another underlying issue which I want to bring out. I have these urges to just start already. I have this fantasy as soon as I get that first campaign going, the money will poor in. This usually is not the case. There is no rush in this business. And I need to realize that I need to take all the time I need to do this right.
I do not have to worry about “taking action”, because this is taking action. Reading books and forums all day, that’s sitting on the bars. What I’m dealing with are legitimate issues any business owner might run into. The trick is to learn how to deal with them without losing your cool or motivation.
This brings me to another potential outcome from the above behavior. One can loose motivation very quickly if one keeps wasting time on technical things like the above problem.
The rule of thumb for spending time should be as follows:
If some one else can fix your problem faster, do NOT waste time on it. If you can REALLY learn from this problem, and any time spent now will save you time in the future then take the time to understand the issue and resolve it. Treat it like a learning curve for your business.
Wow, this is a longer post than I thought, but one of the reasons for this blog is to analyze my behaviors and learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment